Unpaid Work Experiences

What if a student works "for free" in a University laboratory to gain experience?

If a student is working "for free" – receiving no pay or compensation but volunteering - in a University lab or research facility, the Intellectual Property will be owned by the student. However, the student cannot be:

·         Receiving Material Support from the University

·         Collaborating with faculty (Faculty Collaboration)

·         Participating in Special Situations in a for-credit course

In those exceptions, the Intellectual Property belongs to the University and the student must sign a Student Intellectual Property University Agreement.

Note:  For the technology transfer procedures associated with each of the following scenarios, see the Student Technology Transfer Procedures.