Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Retirement Plan Options  

Retirement Plans
Enrollment in the retirement program is required effective the first day of employment for all permanent full-time and part-time employees. Temporary employees must enroll in the retirement program once they have worked 750 hours or are expected to work 750 hours in a calendar year.

Employees have 30 days from the first date of eligibility to select enrollment in either the Defined Benefit Plan or the Defined Contribution Plan. Failure to select a plan within 30 days will result in automatic enrollment in SERS, the Defined Benefit Plan for Pennsylvania public employees. Selection of a retirement plan is part of your initial online benefits enrollment process through Employee Self-Serve (ESS). If ESS enrollment is not available, the Retirement Program Election form may be completed. Regardless of the plan you choose, you are required to contribute a percentage of your salary to the retirement plan. Employee contributions are tax deferred. Once you have elected a plan, your election is final and binding and you cannot change retirement plans

Voluntary Retirement Plans
The State System offers two additional options to save and invest extra money for retirement. Whether you are supplementing your group retirement plan or you are not eligible to enroll in the group retirement plan, the Deferred Compensation 457 and Tax Sheltered Annuity 403(b) plans are available to all employees upon their date of hire. Employees can choose to contribute up to the annual IRS limits in both plans. There are no employer contributions for these plans.

- Voluntary Plan Comparison













*The Public School Employees’ Retirement System (PSERS) is a defined benefit plan for Pennsylvania’s public school employees. If you are a current member of PSERS, the State System is able to continue your enrollment in PSERS or you may elect SERS and opt for multiple service which combines service in both SERS and PSERS to receive a single retirement benefit, or you may enroll in the ARP plan.