There are nine umbrella organizations that represent the approximately 1,000 charities that participate in SECA. The charities underneath each umbrella share similar missions.
To view a listing of the participating charities, click here.
Encompassing more than one hundred fully vetted charities, America’s Charities believes in growing philanthropy, transparency, being good stewards of donor dollars, and letting donors choose how and where their donation will make an impact. America’s Charities works together with businesses, community organizations, and donors.
· Advances research, finds treatment and cures to disease, and advocates for a diverse range of social concerns that improve the lives of children, animals, elderly, military, minorities, and disabled individuals
· Creates solutions that reduce poverty, alleviate hunger, improve education, find people employment and make the community a better place to live
Christian Service Charities
Christian Service Charities epitomize serving humanity in God’s name. Their work helps millions to overcome poverty, hunger, hopelessness, religious persecution, abuse, disease, illiteracy, homelessness, addiction, broken families and separation from God.
• Assists those who are discriminated against based upon religion and protect the First Amendment right for Freedom of Religion
· Provides programs supporting spiritual, moral and ethical leadership values among the military leaders
Community Health Charities
Community Health Charities support research, patient services and outreach in local communities. It also works with local employers to connect employees to health and wellness information, volunteer opportunities and the ability to direct donations to the local health charities of their choice.
· Funds biomedical research into the causes, prevention, treatments and cure for autism spectrum disorders; increase awareness; and advocate for the needs of affected families
· Provides scientific research, education, patient and community services for the 133 million Americans (nearly 1 in every 2 adults) suffering from a chronic disease or disability
EarthShare Pennsylvania supports responsible, effective charities working to protect and preserve Pennsylvania’s environment. They help create meaningful impact through charitable giving, education, and volunteerism to benefit causes in local neighborhoods and across the state. EarthShare works to preserve and protect public health and our air, land, water and wildlife.
· Engages Americans where they work with simple, effective educational tools and giving opportunities
· Creates hands-on opportunities to improve quality of life and environmental health where you live, work & play
Global Impact raises funds to meet critical humanitarian needs around the world. As a leader in international philanthropy, Global Impact works with a vast network of private- and public-sector partners to provide food, shelter, medical care, job skills and education to the world’s most vulnerable people.
· Provides an efficient way for donors to respond to a wide variety of urgent human needs
· Brings together organizations to save lives following catastrophes and conflicts
Independent Charities of America
Independent Charities of America is an association of charities that emphasizes public accountability, program effectiveness and cost effectiveness. Member charities represent a wide variety of causes and must pass a rigorous pre-screening process.
· Provides support for children orphaned through war and disaster and helps provide loving parents and permanent homes for these desperate children
· Supports afterschool programs that keep kids safe, inspire learning, and help working families
Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Foundation, Inc.
Businesses, communities, and social and cultural organizations are served through a broad range of PASSHE university programs and services. More than 500,000 alumni live and work in the commonwealth and serve in leadership positions in both the public and private sectors as business owners, health professionals, scientists, entrepreneurs, educators, elected and appointed officials and in various other fields. The PASSHE Foundation, like our participating universities’ foundations, works to engage donors who are seeking to invest in students, programs and other priority needs.
· Provides critical scholarships for students
· Funds initiatives in support of system and university missions
United Negro College Fund
UNCF plays a critical role in enabling more than 60,000 students each year to attend college through scholarship and internship programs for low- and moderate-income families and providing operating funds for its member colleges, all of them small, private institutions. UNCF also serves as a national advocate for the importance of education for all Americans.
· Serves as a national advocate for the importance of education for all Americans
· Provides 10,000 students each year with scholarships and internships as well as operating funds for its 38 member colleges that offer tuitions that average more than 30% less than those at comparable colleges and universities
United Way brings together and mobilizes partner agencies, volunteers, business partners and community organizations to transform the local community. United Way creates solutions that work by focusing on health, education and basic needs of local friends and neighbors.
· Strives to improve education, and cut the number of high school dropouts - 1.2 million students, every year - in half
· Helps people achieve financial stability, and strives to get working families on the road to economic independence